Stephen Young

4.1.07

Tokyo!

So I arrived last night in Tokyo where I'll be staying for a few days before heading off to Singapore on exchange. My flight arrived around 5PM local time over was my took a solid 13 hours and I managed to sleep for about 3, not bad I suppose, but considering I hadn't slept much the night before... in an effort to sleep more on the plane.... it wasn't great either. The whole flight I was worried I'd be exhausted when I arrived and end up getting lost someone inside Tokyo's massive and confusing subway / train system. Good guess....

Basically I had no idea where to go after leaving the airport, armed only with the name "Asakusa" and the direction west. After several wrong transfers and lots of confused conversations with locals, I bumped into a girl from Ontario who knew Tokyo and pointed me in the write direction. Around 8PM I finally arrived at the hostel I was aiming for in the Asakusa district, checked in and promptly fell asleep. Jet lag had definitely set in.

Asakusa is a nice area just on the outskirts of central Tokyo. It's has several famous temples and maintains an air of old Tokyo (or so I'm told). Today I plan on exploring this area, getting some food, practicing a little Japanese... and trying not to get lost.

Somewhat surprisingly, I found out Annie, Eugene and Gary (all from UW engineering and going to Singapore) are staying at the same hostel. We'll be travelling around together today as they're leaving tomorrow before me.

Cheers,
Steve

4 Comments:

  • Steve,

    Your old man gave me your blog site info. Us "old guys" can now live vicariously through your experiences around the globe. Have a good time - be safe, and keep us up to date.

    David Skelly (Fulfords)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM  

  • Hi Steve
    Great report on Tokyo. Really good pictures from that little camera.

    I found your neighborhood - Asakusaa - and I think that I can see the two temples you mention in Earth.google. Did you know you can post pictures to Earth.google locations. Note the little Blue circles scattered around cities.

    The view from the top of the Tower really is amazing. The City really does go on forever.

    The boys are settling after your departure, although I think Kenny is on Tokyo time. He certainly is not on Toronto time for going to bed and getting up, (next week should deal with that). Philip is in minor shock from the hours in the new job but is adjusting fast. Also he got his final mark and it was higher that expected!!

    Hope you got your plane. Did you take the Subway or a taxi? I presume the Traffic Jams run just about 24 hours a day there.

    We should be able Skype by the end of the weekend. I wonder what the phone time delay will be to Singapore???

    Have fun and watch your Wallet
    - Looking forward to Us "old guys" living vicariously through your experiences -
    Dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 PM  

  • Geez, another old guy living vicariously through your travels...aren't there any young, good looking, intelligent 20 year old women wanting to live in the present with poor Steve?
    Live it up Steve, (a.k.a. "build it") and they will come. Good to see all the different areas of Tokyo - the diversity must be amazing. Toronto will seem small townish now after all your experiences. But you'll also start to appreciate home! Enjoy! I'll leave some space here for the blondes of the world to leave a comment or marriage proposal...Cheers! (I too like a good Guinness!) Stan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:32 AM  

  • By Blogger Unknown, at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home